Thursday, January 1, 2009

Organize your notes

In the software industry (don't know about the others), people generate quite a lot of information. Following are the places this information can usually be found:
  • In a notebook.
  • On a whiteboard.
  • Sticky-Notes (PostIt)
  • Text files and other documents.
  • Wikis.
  • Blogs.
  • E-mail.
  • guess the list could go on...
Each of the methods has it's own advantages and disadvantages:
  • Ability to search.
  • Long-Term archiving.
  • Ease of use.
  • Backups.
  • Accessibility.
  • Ability to share.
  • Organization vs. Chaos.
  • Privacy.
  • again, the list could go on...
I guess most of you use at least a notebook, and probably a whiteboard as well. Both instruments are hard-copies, non-digital, thus, for the digital needs another tool is required.

Until not long ago, my preferred tool was MS's OneNote. It is capable for quite about everything, and I was very happy with it. But my needs has changed. Now I need something which doesn't cost money, able to work on many platforms, works via a web interface and then some.

Today I found out TiddlyWiki. Although I have very little experience with it, I can tell I'm going to love it. Basically, this is a private wiki, which runs locally from a browser. No server required, no further installations required. It is fast, and manages information in a non-linear manner (stuff can be interlinked). Notebook solutions (such as Google Notebook) are considered linear when compared to TiddlyWiki.

Their concept is great - a single HTML file that does everything. Easy to backup, easy to edit, easy. Can't wait to see how will it face the time-trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment