Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bug opening dilemma

Not long ago I had a discussion with Leon regarding bug reporting to Oracle. Leon had solved some nasty bug that Oracle had (and still has, as far as I know) in one of its products, all by himself.
I suggested he should report to Oracle about the bug and about the fix, not only because it's a nice thing to do, but also because having a patch with your name on it has some value of honor.

Personally, when I stumble upon bugs in the open-source products I use, I report a bug (if possible). If it's something I have knowledge in or interest in, I'll even try to fix the bug.

As I already wrote, I decided to install Windows 7 and see what the future holds. This raises two dilemmas for me:
  • Should I report MS about the bugs I find (such as IE 8 beta crashing when browsing to Google Analytics)? There is really nothing for me in it. I really don't care if some of these products gets fixed or not, I'll probably won't get any gratitude, nor paid (hey, they're making money from this, so why don't I get my share?).
  • Should I open bug/feature-request to my favorite desktop environments to mimic features I like in Windows 7 (like the ability to reorganize tasks in the taskbar)? I think innovation is much more important than copying from the competition, and since I hate GUI programming, I know I won't be the one imlpementing those features, so it's just creating work for other people.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment