Monday, December 6, 2010

Firefox Memory Consumption

Lately I read that people complain about Firefox consuming huge amounts of memory, a thing that supposedly happens due to memory leaks. Many such posts claims Chrome behaves much better with memory.

Well, my experience is a bit different. First, I'm a huge Chrome (and Chromium) fan. I like Chrome's interface, speed, ease of extensions development and its security features (soon, a sandbox for Adobe Flash). But, if there's one thing I don't like about it is memory consumption. Using the latest stable version, opening few tabs with Google's own applications (GMail, Reader, Docs) can easily get the browser to consume 500MB on my PC. Firefox, with only two add-ons installed: Firebug and AdBlock, uses less than 200MB for the same set of sites.

It is true that if one leaves Firefox opens for a few consecutive days, it'll eventually consume all of the RAM installed, but this is not the case for me, as I close the browser at least once a day.

Perhaps the fact that I use the 64bit version of the browsers makes the difference. Perhaps its the fact I have only two add-ons installed on Firefox. I don't know. But I don't complain about Firefox's memory consumption, as it is better for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment