Friday, September 23, 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 and Unity

For a long time I've been a 10.10 user. Probably too long. To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less. Everything was so customized to my own needs, and everything worked perfectly.
Moreover, since most of my development nowadays is done on a Windows box, I didn't feel the urge to try something new on Linux.
Finally, there were so many bad reviews about Unity, and "thanks" to those I had second thoughts about replacing the desktop environment.

Last week I took the "risk", and you know what? I love it!
I had 11.04 installed both on my workstation and my laptop, and I can easily say it's one of the best Ubuntu versions I used.

On my laptop, I rarely connect a mouse, and I hate touchpads. This means I use the keyboard almost exclusively. Unity seems to be adapted to this, so it provides great keyboard shortcuts. Now I need the mouse even less.

On the workstation, even though I have a big screen with a "big resolution", I always try to find the best utilization for the screen space real-estate. If you ever seen a those 30" mac wide monitors that have the mac dock dragged to the left edge, you know what I'm talking about.
Unity also knows what I'm talking about.

Also, performance is great, as ever. Far better than using Windows. Ubuntu never misses this one.

I wish I didn't wait so long to try Ubuntu 11.04 and Unity. On the other hand, since this version is quite mature, there's a chance I saved myself some of the glitches and bugs it had 5 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment